Monday 1 September 2008

Carrot Cake


I just can't get enough of it! I recently re-discovered my love for carrot cake. William and I have had it at least 3 times in the last two weeks and the only reason we haven't had it more is because the bakery where we get it always runs out. It's that popular! You can buy it by the slice and, get this, YOU tell them how big to make the slice! Genius. They have had 2 different varieties: one has the cream cheese frosting and one has more of a traditional icing. I usually don't care for the cream cheese frosting, mostly because the store-bought carrot cakes usually overdo it, but this one is delicious! Thin and creamy. Here is one of many carrot cake recipes. I was going to try to make it myself but there are way too many ingredients so I think I'll just continue to buy it. SO GOOD!
Ingredients
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoon of baking soda½ teaspoon of salt
¾ teaspoon of ground ginger
½ teaspoon of ground all spices
1 cup of vegetable oil or light olive oil
4 eggs
1 cup of granulated sugar
½ cup of fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2cups of shredded carrots2 cups of chopped walnutsToasted cream cheese icing

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour at 13×9x2-inch baking pan. Sift flour, bak­ing powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and all spice onto a sheet of waxed paper. Beat oil, eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a larger bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Stir in orange juice and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture on lowest speed just until blended. Stir in carrots and walnuts until combined. Scrape onto prepared pan. Bake in heated 350 degrees oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Spread with cream cheese icing into 16 squares and serve.

3 comments:

Grassyllama said...

cool that it has orange juice in it. I bet it's good.

i want to be in eburgh eating carrot cake. instead I am in spokane eating a frozen cliff bar that I got as a sample.

AJK said...

how rare to find a carrot cake with a traditional frosting- yum! i have never been a huge cream cheese frosting fan myself.

ps- like the new pic you put up for your profile.

Nancy said...

I once made a carrot cake in the old house for R.K.'s birthday. Something went wrong, and I baked a second, which I burnt. The third came out perfectly in its pyrex pan, and was cooling on the stove when I switched on the wrong burner (wanted to have a celebratory persistence pays cup of coffee) and the whole thing exploded all over the kitchen- shards of glass everywhere.

Sara Lee actually makes a darn good (in the freezer section) carrot cake